Windows resolver question...

Kyle McDonald kmcdonald at egenera.com
Mon Jan 18 18:06:35 UTC 2010

I know it's not strictly related to bind, but Google has failed me...
I'm hoping to find some expertise (or at least a pointer,) here. :)

I work in an environment where most desktops live in the corp.x.com
domain, and I manage 2 other subdomains of x.com ).

I'm not positive, but I could swear when I was running Windows XP, that
I could ping, telnet, ssh, vnc, etc. to abc.sub from my desktop in
corp.x.com without any trouble at all.

Now I have Windows7, and nothing works without the fully qualified
domain name. I have the (risky) checkbox checked to "Append parent
suffixes of the primary DNS suffix," just like I did in WinXP.

What's different in Win7?

Given the split nature of the x.com domain, I'm wondering if Win7 might
be keying off the '.' in abc.sub, and going to the root servers on it's own?

If this might be the case, Is there a way to modify this behavior?
Anyone know the Windows equivalent of setting ndots to 2?

  -Kyle