Bind hang out when named reach to 5-600 Mb

Fajar A. Nugraha fajar at fajar.net
Thu Jul 8 10:10:02 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 4:30 PM, khanh rua <duonghoahoc_k49cd at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I install bind as a cache server on Solaris 10, Sun Sparc T5140. It has
> problem, bind always hang out when named reach to 5-600 Mb ('prstat' check).

How did you determine that it "hang"?
If you enable query log, you might be able to see if it's actually
serving queries at that time.

Also, how is the cpu and disk usage at that time (I'm trying to see if
you have cpu or disk as bottleneck?

My guess is that:
- one of your CPU thread is at 100% usage
- named is busy serving queries alreadt, so that the new query you
issued does not get processed in a timely manner.

> I have several servers and all have this problem even when i install bind in
> zone or try with a 64bit version.  T5140's a powerful server but bind can't
> make use of its power.

IMHO, it's not really named-specific problem. The thing is Sun/Oracle
T-series processors doesn't perform well with single thread loads. And
(last time I check anyway) even though bind can make use of multi
processor/threads, single thread performance still matters a lot.

So you'd probably get much better performance when running named with
say ... a generic x86 server/PC with Intel Xeon/Core i-series.

--
Fajar