bind says 'clocks are unsynchronized' but they are not

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sat Jul 17 02:37:03 UTC 2010

On 7/7/2010 12:57 PM, Kalman Feher wrote:

> If you really do have such a small pipe (with your email address I assume
> Sweden. I didn't think Swedes even knew there were link types other than
> fibre ;) )then perhaps you're throttling it to the point where your NTP sync
> drops off.

<NTP hat>
That is most unlikely. NTP is designed to take account of that and since
it was originally designed over 25 years ago when that was more of the
norm, NTP won't drop synch that easily and even if it does it will keep
the clock disciplined until it gets new packets from its specified
servers. NTP packets are only about 68 bytes of payload which is not a
lot for even a loaded link. The biggest issue for NTP is *not* the
latency, ie the time to send a packet and receive a response, but how
much jitter there is, ie how much that latency varies with each request.
</NTP hat>

Danny