bind says 'clocks are unsynchronized' but they are not

Kalman Feher kalman.feher at melbourneit.com.au
Wed Jul 7 16:57:49 UTC 2010

If you really do have such a small pipe (with your email address I assume
Sweden. I didn't think Swedes even knew there were link types other than
fibre ;) )then perhaps you're throttling it to the point where your NTP sync
drops off.
Perhaps try some traffic shaping on the link. IXFR or any other bandwidth
friendly alternative as suggested below or perhaps an internal NTP server.

On 7/07/10 4:17 PM, "Sven Eschenberg" <sven at whgl.uni-frankfurt.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The size of the zone should not be that much of a matter if you use
> IFXR. Aside from that, did you ever consider using another mechanism for
> synchronization, like rsync or lzmaing the zone and transferring it via
> your protocol of choice?
> Then again, why would one have a TLD coloc on a 256kbps line, that seems
> very unreasonable.
>
> Regards
>
> -Sven
>

> On Wed, 2010-07-07 at 14:58 +0200, Niklas Jakobsson wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On ons, 2010-07-07 at 14:41 +0200, Tom Schmitt wrote:
>>> -------- Original-Nachricht --------

>>> Maybe one of the two servers doing the zone transfer is running in a chroot
>>> where it has another time setting than the server itself?
>>>

>> Not running any chroot.

>>> HOURS??
>>> There is defnitly something wrong. I cannot imagine a zone so big or a
>>> connection so slow that a zonetransfer could take hours. Or do you make a
>>> axfr of the tld com. over a serial connection?  ;-)
>>>

>>> Tom.
>>>

>> Size of a tld that should not be named: 256947194 bytes
>> Speed of connection to a site very far away: 256 kbit/s
>>
>> 256947194/(256*1000/8)/60/60 = 2.23 ~ little over 2 hours...
>>
>>  /Nico

Kal Feher