"forward after" option

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Thu Nov 11 00:00:34 UTC 2010

What you're suggesting is not really the "inverse" of "forward first".

"Forward first" is basically: (try forwarding) -> [TIMEOUT FROM ALL
FORWARDERS] -> (try iterative resolution)
The inverse would be: (try iterative resolution) -> [TIMEOUT FROM ALL
AUTHORITATIVE NAMESERVERS] -> (try forwarding)

But you're not talking about timeouts, right? You're talking about
perfectly-valid responses that you don't like. This is "not found"
forwarding and in all the years people have been asking for it, it has
not been implemented in BIND because (at a minimum) a) there are
ambiguities with respect to what constitutes "not found" (NXDOMAIN only?
NODATA? REFUSED? SERVFAIL? DNSSEC validation failure?), and b) it
complicates and confuses resolution, and maintenance/troubleshooting of
same.

In your case, what you might end up having to do is either
a) start duplicating all of your external records in the internal
version(s) of your zone(s), and have your business partner use that, or
b) have your business partner look generally at the external version(s)
of your zone(s), and then have them create a zone, with just a single
leaf-node entry in it, for each name that they need to access, which
does not exist in the external version of the zone, e.g.
"foo.bar.example.com". This could potentially add up to a lot of zone
definitions.
c) the inverse of the above: have your business partner look generally
at the internal version(s) of your zone(s), and then create individual
zones for each external name that they need to access.

Note that for browser-based traffic *only*, a slightly-less ugly
solution than (b) or (c) above is for your business partner to use a
proxy auto-config (PAC) file with their clients (or modify their
existing PAC). Then you can selectively control whether the client looks
up the DNS itself (DIRECT), or uses a particular proxy, and then
co-ordinate that with whether the clients or the proxy/proxies see the
internal or external version(s) of the zone(s), respectively.

E.g. internal sites go DIRECT and clients resolve the internal version
of the zone, while external sites are proxied and the proxy sees the
external version of the zone, or
         external sites go DIRECT and clients resolve the external
version of the zone, while internal sites are proxied and the proxy sees
the internal version of the zone, or
         internal sites go to proxyA and proxyA resolves the internal
DNS, external sites go to proxyB and proxyB resolves the external DNS

     - Kevin

P.S. If your internal and external DNS are completely distinct from each
other, how do your own internal users get to your own external websites?
If you're already solved that problem for your own clients, why not just
use the same solution with your business partner, if possible?