Could DNS help solve this?

Torsten toto at the-damian.de
Thu Nov 11 11:41:08 UTC 2010

Ian was propably talking about jwhois which is part of almost all Linux
distibutions.
This whois client "automagically" selects the correct whois server for
you. It comes with a configuration file with lots of known tld => whois
server pairs. For .com/.net domains it selects the whois server by
first asking whois.internic.net.

Maybe you should give it a try

Ciao
Torsten