Could DNS help solve this?

Ian Manners ian at os2site.com
Thu Nov 11 14:02:08 UTC 2010

Hi Sten,

>Yes, I do use whois, my problem is which of the many dozens of whois
>servers to ask.

Apologies, sometimes I can be a bit short in my answers.

> <http://www.linux.it/~md/software/>

The whois command line utility I pointed you to comes with
a lot of Linux distro's, and it trys a variety of domain information
sources to return the whois information in a domain or IP address.
ie, its does what you want.

>E.g. if you want to know who owns telephone.com(random example), do you
>ask whois.moniker.com, whois.markmonitor.com, whois.enum.com or ???.

the 'whois' commandline utility tells me Registrar, Admin contact, Tech
contact,
DNS servers, Domain Status etc.

Cheers
Ian Manners