one remaining error message in named log startup messages

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Fri Nov 12 19:24:45 UTC 2010

Am building a new nameserver, with vanilla CentOS 5.5, and am in the home
stretch.  I see one last anomalous message that says:
       "adjusted limit on open files from 1024 to 1048576"
The named service works just fine.........I have about 260 zone files...or is
this just adjusting the number of files for the parent process?  Googled this:
       http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-812664.html
which says to add a line:
       named soft nofile 4096
to /etc/security/limits.conf

Did that, then tried both restarting named and rebooting the machine, but it
doesn't make a difference.

named -v yields:

BIND 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-4.P1.el5_4.2

Comments, suggestions?
--

"One must think like a hero to behave like a merely decent human being." - May Sarton
"Having overcome your worst fear, the thing you are most vulnerable to, that is the definition of heroic.

Funny how it's women who speak so well of the real heroism, that of going on, of being true.
Stewart Dean, Unix System Admin, Bard College, New York 12504 sdean at bard.edu
voice: 845-758-7475, fax: 845-758-7035