zone management plus automatic "nsupdate"

Chris Buxton chris.p.buxton at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 22:02:56 UTC 2010

On Nov 28, 2010, at 3:25 AM, Christian Ruppert wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> we have many zones and a few admins who are able to edit those. Now
> we're looking for a good and free solution to a) track who changed what
> and b) to update the zone afterwards.
>
> So we thought using git with a update hook could be a good one.
> With git we can see who changed what and when and the hook could use
> "git diff" with a simple diff parser to get the lines that shall be
> updated by nsupdate.
>
> e.g.
> -ns <ttl> IN A <ip>
> +ns <ttl> IN A <newip>
>
> The first line would be used for "update delete" and the second one for
> "update add".
>
> Of course it takes some time realize this properly so my question is: Is
> there already something equivalent?
> Or do you guys have a better idea? How do you manage your zones?

Before rolling your own DNS management platform, take a look at the existing solutions. In addition to the commercial offerings, there is Carnegie Mellon's NetReg, which is apparently both credible and open source.

http://www.net.cmu.edu/netreg/

Disclaimers:  I've never used NetReg, and I work for a company that produces a commercial solution for DNS, DHCP, and IP address management (DDI).

Chris Buxton
BlueCat Networks