bind9.7.1 Reload Fails with Permission Denied. solved

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Thu Oct 21 20:51:53 UTC 2010

I wrote:
>         A new installation of bind9.7.1P2 is otherwise running
> properly and the only reason why I am asking this question is
> that I am not sure how to determine which file or directory has
> the wrong ownership or permissions.

	I can hear it now. "WHY DON'T YOU READ THE #*!0--LOG FILE!!"

	That was the problem. I found out about it after
receiving an error message when newsyslog tried to reload bind.
One quirk in FreeBSD is that the log stops receiving input from
bind when it rolls over and you have to reload bind to get the
log restarted.

	The problem was that named.conf.keys was owned by root
instead of bind. I have an #include statement in named.conf to
read in the file so there is where the permission problem was
and the log tells you quite nicely what line number in
named.conf is causing the problem. The log roll over ate that
message and since there was no more input to be read, one could
never see it. I expect the file descripter gets lost in the
rollover.

	I built another system and used the same script to set
things up and it had the same problem but it was logging so
that's how I found out what to fix.

Martin McCormick