bind9.7.1 Reload Fails with Permission Denied. solved

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Oct 21 21:43:22 UTC 2010

> Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 15:51:53 -0500
> From: Martin McCormick <martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu>
> Sender: bind-users-bounces+oberman=es.net at lists.isc.org
>
> I wrote:
> >         A new installation of bind9.7.1P2 is otherwise running
> > properly and the only reason why I am asking this question is
> > that I am not sure how to determine which file or directory has
> > the wrong ownership or permissions.
>
> 	I can hear it now. "WHY DON'T YOU READ THE #*!0--LOG FILE!!"
>
> 	That was the problem. I found out about it after
> receiving an error message when newsyslog tried to reload bind.
> One quirk in FreeBSD is that the log stops receiving input from
> bind when it rolls over and you have to reload bind to get the
> log restarted.

You have to WHAT!

You have something broken if this happens. I run all of my DNS public
servers on FreeBSD and have never seen this. newsyslog is smart enough
to take care of this. It should signal the process (named) to re-open
the log file.

Are you running any option on newsyslog that would keep it from
signaling the named process? '-s' on the command line or the N flag in
newsyslog.conf? Are you starting it properly so that the PID file is in
the right place, usually /var/run?
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)