bind9.7.1 Reload Fails with Permission Denied. solved

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Tue Oct 26 08:17:18 UTC 2010

On 21.10.10 15:51, Martin McCormick wrote:
> 	The problem was that named.conf.keys was owned by root
> instead of bind. I have an #include statement in named.conf to
> read in the file so there is where the permission problem was
> and the log tells you quite nicely what line number in
> named.conf is causing the problem.

if your names runs under 'bind' userid, it apparently should not own its
config files, only those it writes to. It's quite good practice when daemon
can't write to its config files.

You apparently need only change permissions so bind could READ the file,
which usually means group bind and group-read privileges.