installing on SLES 10sp3

David Forrest drf at maplepark.com
Thu Sep 9 17:04:10 UTC 2010

On Thu, 9 Sep 2010, Lyle Giese wrote:

> I am trying to install bind 9.7.1-P2 from source on a SLES 10 SP3 server.
>
> When I run named from the command line, it runs, but fails to open and write
> any of the zone files it downloaded.
>
> named -c /etc/named.conf   (yes I am running this a root)

I had similar problems with 9.7.1-P2 and it seemed that the named init
script generated for F11 reset permissions on the /var/named directory.
Go figure.  But, to make it work, I inserted a chmod command just before
it launched the daemon to set /var/named as owned by named. I also like
the executable in /usr/local/sbin rather than /usr/sbin as the script
said. so mine now is as below:
  chown -hR named:named /var/named                      ## DRF
#    daemon /usr/sbin/"$named" -u named ${OPTIONS};    ## DRF
  daemon /usr/local/sbin/"$named" -u named ${OPTIONS};  ## DRF

I don't start it directly from the command line though, so running from
the command line as root should not have that ownership problem.  You
might check the actual install directory as you might be running the old
executable.

Dave
David Forrest                     e-mail   drf at maplepark.com
Maple Park Development Corporation  http://xen.maplepark.com
St. Louis, Missouri    (Sent by ALPINE 2.01 FEDORA 11 LINUX)