ipv6 implementation in an ipv4 camp

Lyle Giese lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Fri Sep 10 12:16:08 UTC 2010

Jim Pazarena wrote:
> I am curious if anyone can point out articles or deeper instructions
> regarding an implementation and launch of ipv6 in a fully ipv4 camp?
>
> If the upstream ISP still provides the end user an ipv4 number
> as a gateway, and the end user still has a /24 or /23 assigned by
> the ISP, need they be concerned with ipv6?
>
> would the ipv4 /23 subnet be 'translatable' to a corresponding
> ipv6 number?
>
> Any source documents would be greatly appreciated.
I used http://ipv6.he.net and http://www.sixxs.net for use to do a trial
implementation of IPv6 in our network. Our upstream ISP has since
provided us with native IPv6 and we are working on full implementation
here. We have the infrastructure in place and are working on adding IPv6
addresses to all websites as time allows. It's not a high priority at
this time.

IMHO, it's good for an ISP operation to get on board and figure out how
to implement IPv6. End users don't have that pressing of a need
unless/until they are forced to by their upstream providers.

There is a lot of good info at http://ipv6.he.net and at
http://www.sixxs.net for getting a working IPv6 tunnel into their
network and how to implement IPv6.

Lyle Giese