repository for zone files

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Thu Sep 23 20:07:16 UTC 2010

/etc = named.conf, rndc.conf and other config files
/var/named = zone files.

Are you running just bind or bind-chroot.  If the latter then named.conf
goes in /var/named/chroot/etc rather than /etc and the zone files go
into /var/named/chroot/var/named instead of /var/named.

You can configure things any way you like but if you're using the RHEL
updates then you need to put them where RHEL's RPMs put them.

Also if you're using SELinux RHEL sets the contexts based on where it
expects things to be.

If you really want to see things from /etc/dns you could just make an
/etc/dns directory then create symbolic links to the named.conf and the
zone files in /etc/dns.