Migrate domains to different DNS servers

listuser2@gmail.com listuser2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 07:25:47 UTC 2011

Hello all,

We have a couple of BIND 8 DNS servers that we want to decommission,
obviously we need to migrate the domains to other DNS servers first, which
ordinarily involves zone transfer and domain re-delegation. However, we do
not have control over a lot of the domains (think hundreds) on the BIND 8
servers, meaning we cannot re-delegate.

A desperate measure (if you want to call it) is to transfer the zones to the
new DNS infrastructure then change the A record of the old DNS to use the IP
address of the new DNS. Effectively the old DNS becomes an alias of the new
DNS.

Example:

   Current:
      oldns1.domain.com  1.0.0.1
      oldns2.domain.com  1.0.0.2
      newns1.domain.com  2.0.0.1
      newns2.domain.com  2.0.0.2

   Future:
      oldns1.domain.com  2.0.0.1
      oldns2.domain.com  2.0.0.2
      newns1.domain.com  2.0.0.1
      newns2.domain.com  2.0.0.2

We will give more thought about this, but so far it looks like it will work.
Do you see any problem with this approach?

Thanks for you valuable inputs.

Peter