Migrate domains to different DNS servers

Torinthiel torinthiel at data.pl
Wed Apr 20 09:58:34 UTC 2011

Dnia 2011-04-20 17:25 listuser2 at gmail.com  napisał(a):

>Hello all,
>
>We have a couple of BIND 8 DNS servers that we want to decommission,
>obviously we need to migrate the domains to other DNS servers first, which
>ordinarily involves zone transfer and domain re-delegation. However, we do
>not have control over a lot of the domains (think hundreds) on the BIND 8
>servers, meaning we cannot re-delegate.

In what sense you don't have control?
I assume you don't have administrative access to the BIND8 boxes.
Do you have AXFR access to BIND8 boxes and/or do you have the zone files?
Do you have access to registrar, where you have registered your domains?
Also, important factor is whether the DNS for those domains are in-zone or
out-zone
i.e. assume you have example.com. Are NS servers ns1.example.com (in-zone)
or ns1.otherdomain.com (out-zone)

One important problem is data. If you don't have access to zones' contents
(either via AXFR or having zone files) then how would you know what your new
nameservers should respond?

Assuming you have data, here are your options for delegation

If you have access to registrar, you can freely change the servers domain is
delegated to, so you can simply change that delegation. i.e. domain was
delegated to ns1.domain.com, now is to ns3.domain.com or ns1.newdomain.com
In case of out-zone nameservers that's only a name change. In case of
in-zone nameservers, it's either name and IP address change, or only IP
address change.

If you don't have registrar access, you have out-zone nameservers and you
control (can change RR in) the zone that nameservers are, you can change the
A/AAAA records for NS, which will be a variation of your idea.
If you don't have registrar access and either you have in-zone nameservers,
or can't control A/AAAA records of out-zone nameservers, than AFAIK you're
out of luck.

>A desperate measure (if you want to call it) is to transfer the zones to
the
>new DNS infrastructure then change the A record of the old DNS to use the
IP
>address of the new DNS. Effectively the old DNS becomes an alias of the new
>DNS.

Possible problem: glue records. With internal NS and no access to registrar
you have no way to update glue records, so domain will still be delegated to
old servers.
Regards,
 Torinthiel