Delegation question

Chris Buxton chris.p.buxton at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 18:00:01 UTC 2011

On Feb 4, 2011, at 3:25 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Actually I just found what caused it not to work ; I have forwarders
> set ; If I comment-out the forwarders line ; then everything work as
> it should
>
> Can't delegation works if forwarders are enabled ?

Only if either (a) the forwarders can resolve the name, or (b) you disable forwarding for either the authoritative zone or the delegated child zone.

What you are seeing is the expected behavior.

Keep in mind, a BIND server does two quite different jobs: authoritatively answering queries about local zones and recursive/caching resolution of remote zones. Mixing the two services in one named.conf can be confusing and can lead to complex interplay between their configurations. It can also cause problems for DNSSEC. You should strive to avoid it.

Chris Buxton
BlueCat Networks