bind 9 multiple masters setup

dev null devnull at cimmerii.org
Wed Jan 12 15:13:33 UTC 2011

Hello,

I have most of this worked out but I intend to setup bind in a
multiple master manner.

This makes me question a few things:

1. What can I use for the SOA MNAME? In the off chance a box may die,
I am thinking of using a VIP which contains the multiple masters
within it. However I am not sure how this would affect NOTIFY. So can
I use a VIP or do I just use one of the master DNS boxes in the SOA
MNAME field?
2. With that said, I intend to use rndc to push out DNS changes,
should I worry about using a VIP still? I may need to use both and
NOTIFY seems like it is more built-in so I want to keep rndc and
NOTIFY going.

Hope someone has gone through this trauma.

Thank you!,

Zahid Bukhari