what's a valid domain name?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sun Jan 30 22:13:39 UTC 2011

In article <mailman.1586.1296424051.555.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 Vytautas Grigaliunas <vyto at fnal.gov> wrote:

> What is the status of "dotted" hostnames - i.e. a period in the hostname
> portion of a domain name ?
>
> At one point they were allowed, I believe ? What is the latest official RFC ?

I don't think they've every been allowed.  Why would you need to do
this, instead of just using another level of subdomain?  To get a
literal period into a label, you need to escape it, e.g.
foo\.bar.company.com instead of foo.bar.company.com.  The latter is
allowed, always has been, and is quite common.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA