what's a valid domain name?

Chris Buxton chris.p.buxton at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 22:18:21 UTC 2011

On Jan 30, 2011, at 1:47 PM, Vytautas Grigaliunas wrote:

> What is the status of "dotted" hostnames - i.e. a period in the hostname portion of a domain name ?
>
> At one point they were allowed, I believe ? What is the latest official RFC ?

Periods, or dots, act as dividers in a domain name, separating the various labels. You may have a 'dotted host' in any zone you control. For example, if you control example.com, then some.host.example.com is a valid record name within that zone, as long as host.example.com is not delegated as a subzone.

Chris Buxton
BlueCat Networks