BIND and DNS protocol

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Jul 20 07:37:03 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 03:03:13PM +0800,
 Feng He <shorttag at gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 18 lines which said:

> BIND (Berkeley Internet Name Domain) is an Open Source
> implementation of the Domain Name System protocols originally
> developed by the University of California, Berkeley.

It would not be ambiguous in French, where verbs terminations change
for the plural :-) Let's switch to a better language :-)

> I'm not sure, is it BIND or DNS protocols or both developed by
> University of California, Berkeley?

http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/classes/wi01/cse222/papers/mockapetris-dns-sigcomm88.pdf

When developing the DNS, Paul Mockapetris was at USC (not UCB).

http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/Pubs/TechRpts/1984/CSD-84-182.pdf

BIND was developed at UCB

http://www.isc.org/software/bind/history