Bind time up.

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sat Jul 23 17:21:05 UTC 2011

On 07/23/2011 09:22 AM, Vbvbrj wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have a server at home, that runs Bind 9 dns and routes internal
> traffic to internet. Its working fine. When I'm out of home, I
> disconnect my home switch. In bind log appears "no longer listening on
> 192.168.0.1#53". After a return to home and connecting switch, BIND does
> not respond to internal lan for long time till BIND start listening. Or
> I have to reload BIND service or reload configs with rndc.
>
> How to tell BIND to not stop listening on cable disconnected adapters?

You can't AFAIK.

Bind is stopping listening because the interface has gone down. If you
don't want it to stop listening, don't let the interface down.

As you've discovered, the other option is to call "rndc reconfig" when
the interface comes back up; bind will re-discover the IPs. You could do
this automatically if your distribution supports interface "scripts"
e.g. /sbin/ifup-local