bind 9 performance

Mark K. Pettit pettit at yahoo-inc.com
Wed Jun 15 21:52:02 UTC 2011

One of the things that got us is we didn't know BIND 8 automatically created delegation records in a zone at the zone cut, if the nameserver knew of the existence of the cut.

For example, if we have the following zones in our named.conf:

  zone "example.com" { ... };
  zone "sub.example.com" { ... };

and inside example.com, we do *not* have any delegation records for "sub.example.com", BIND 8 will automatically create the NS records in example.com.

BIND 9 will not do this.  Be sure all of your zones that have zone cuts also have the proper delegation records.