bind 9 performance

John Wobus jw354 at cornell.edu
Fri Jun 17 17:43:20 UTC 2011

Delegation records caught us too.  There used to be a
document called something like "top 10 things to pay attention
to when you upgrade from bind 8 to bind 9" which included
this gotcha, and I'd wished I'd paid real attention to it.
But it was easily fixed once the problem was understood.
We found bind 9 to use more memory and cpu, but this
was easily handled by normal server replacement.

If your site has not too much of anything specific, e.g. 20
zones, 2000 names, 500 desktops using it, one public website
with 10,000 hits a day, I expect it is extremely difficult
to buy a current computer slow enough to have any trouble with
bind 9.  A modern $300 laptop would be practically idle.

But if your server is very old, or if there is some aspect
of your configuration/site that is scaled up or advanced
features that you use, you may have to read more,
tune, benchmark, etc.  If your spam filter retrieves
its data via dns records, that could push up your
query rate and cache size.

John Wobus