nameserver registration

Lyle Giese lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Sat Jun 18 16:24:46 UTC 2011

On 06/18/11 09:30, Jorg W. wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> given my domain name is example.net, and my NS servers for example.net are:
>
> ns1.example.com
> ns2.example.com
>
> But, example.com itself's NS servers are the registrator's (for
> example, godaddy's).
>
> Under this case, I don't need any glue for ns[1-2].example.com.
> But why I still need to register them in the .com NS servers?
>
> Thanks.

You are wrong.  You do need glue records.  Glue records registers the ip
address of your name server(s) with the root name servers.

In this case the glue records are associated with ns1 and
ns2.example.com.  The name servers need to be registered with the domain
registrar for example.com and forwarded as glue records to the root name
servers for .com.

Godaddy is a domain name registrar and does not run any root name
servers.  However, it is the responsibility of the domain name
registrars to make sure proper glue records are maintained for any/all
name servers used with a domain registered with them.

Lyle Giese
LCR Computer Services, Inc.