nameserver registration

Sven Eschenberg sven at whgl.uni-frankfurt.de
Sat Jun 18 16:59:16 UTC 2011

On Sat, June 18, 2011 18:24, Lyle Giese wrote:
> On 06/18/11 09:30, Jorg W. wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> given my domain name is example.net, and my NS servers for example.net
>> are:
>>
>> ns1.example.com
>> ns2.example.com
>>
>> But, example.com itself's NS servers are the registrator's (for
>> example, godaddy's).
>>
>> Under this case, I don't need any glue for ns[1-2].example.com.
>> But why I still need to register them in the .com NS servers?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> You are wrong.  You do need glue records.  Glue records registers the ip
> address of your name server(s) with the root name servers.

Afaik you usually only glue at NSes that completely delegate and not
necessarily at root servers, but at the parent zone where the delegation
takes place.

> In this case the glue records are associated with ns1 and
> ns2.example.com.  The name servers need to be registered with the domain
> registrar for example.com and forwarded as glue records to the root name
> servers for .com.
>
> Godaddy is a domain name registrar and does not run any root name
> servers.  However, it is the responsibility of the domain name
> registrars to make sure proper glue records are maintained for any/all
> name servers used with a domain registered with them.

When godaddys NSes resolve for example.net and they are glued to their
parent zone, you don't need to glue them to example.net's parent zone
(.net servers). That makes only sense if you want to reduce the number of
lookups. On the downside you need to keep those additional glues in sync.

If I ask .net for example.net it will tell me to ask godaddy's NSes.
Assuming they are under .com, .com will be asked and delegates (with glue
records) to godaddy, and I can finally ask godaddy's NS what I want to
know.

If there was additional glue for godaddy's NSes in .net for example.net,
the difference is: .net can tell me, you need to ask godaddy's NS named
XYZ and btw, save your time, you can find it at: IP. It is not necessarily
needed though.