bind restart needed to reflect changes to dynamic zone in multiple views

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Jun 24 17:08:17 UTC 2011

On 11-06-24 12:39 PM, Evan Hunt wrote:

> You can specify the view in the reload command:
>
>         $ rndc reload example.com in external

But reload doesn't work for dynamic zones:

# rndc reload rbl.interlinx.bc.ca in greatunwashed
rndc: 'reload' failed: dynamic zone

and since I want the same zone definition file to be included in both
views, I can't (without separating and mostly duplicating) easily do
that.  I don't think I can even point a non-dynamic zone definition at a
dynamic zone file because of the journal and all that, right?

> You can also configure the zone in one view as a master and the one in the
> other view as a slave; then reloading the master will automatically send a
> notify to the slave.

Yeah, so I've been hearing about.  I suppose in this case I am creating
separate definitions for the zones also.  :-(

This all seems like a pretty serious deficiency in BIND9.  That it
exists I suppose attests to the difficulty in fixing it though.  :-(

Cheers,
b.