rndc: 'reload' failed: not found

Dan dan at sunsaturn.com
Tue Mar 8 10:07:51 UTC 2011

You cannot reload a dlz zone file. The zone is dynamic in mysql.
Dlz+mysql can only support 7-800 qps, so what you want to do is
build your webinterface to it, bind it to some other IP, and setup slaves
that are not dlz at all to do a rndc reload on that one,that way you can
automate everything through database and only have to call rndc reload
manually on slaves for zones you change. Doing it that way, you get the
16k qps from bind and also have full database integration.

Only real issue is dlz host also has no idea when a zone is updated since
its in mysql, so there is no way to send a notify to slaves either,
probably best to code a program on slaves to listen on a socket for
updates and tell them to rndc reload when you change a zone file.

I wouldn't go any higher than bind97, bind98 while I could do dig @dlzhost
axfr blah.com just fine, slave did not find a bind98 dlz master
"authoratative" so would not transfer the zone, a bug I still have not
heard back on...

Dan.