Bind does not reply with "no such name" to A query

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Wed Nov 9 09:48:30 UTC 2011

On 09.11.11 10:34, Beisiegel, Sven wrote:
>2 records are configured like this:
>
>dls-koe.gvs.local.                 2h     A      192.168.100.251
>dls-koe-v6.gvs.local.              2h     AAAA   2001:4dd0:f9c0:100::251
>
> I have clients that are running with IPv4 and IPv6 address at the same
> time and are configured with one of the FQDNs above.  When the client
> is sending a query for one of the names, it directly sends an A and
> AAAA query.

> Now for example: The client sends an A query for
> "dls-koe-v6.gvs.local", which is only configured as AAAA record in
> the server.  I now would expect the server to reply with "no such
> name", but it doesn't.

the "o such name" also known asa NXDOMAIN reply means
"dls-koe-v6.gvs.local does not exist". It's false, because it DOES
exist, it just does not have A record. Apropriate response it NODATA
that means "dls-koe-v6.gvs.local exists but does not have A recors".

Remember half the people you know are below average.