Subdomain Issue

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Fri Nov 11 10:32:45 UTC 2011

On 10.11.11 08:58, Lyle Giese wrote:
>Where are your A records for your name servers, ns1.example.com,
>ns2,example.com and ns4.example.com?
>
>And please answer the question above, what does the named's log say
>when starting up?

The original problem was already detected by Kevin Darcy, after "trm
asn" sent the whole zone:

the zone file above defines "test.example.com" subdomain delegated to
ns1973.hostgator.com and ns1974.hostgator.com, along with A and MX
records.

However, you can not delegate domain and then add records to it.  Even
if the hostgator servers were the same example.com is running at, the
"test.example.com" with its records must be defined in different zone
file.

The only records in test.example.com that may be added within
example.com zone are
- the delegation records (NS) for test.example.com
- the glue A/AAAA records, if they exist within test.example.com

(and they all SHOULD be again defined within test.example.com zone)

As Kevin explained, commenting out the "test NS" records means that A
ans MX below it belong to the zone @ defined zabove, where "@" means
example.com (or whatever lies in the zone definition in named config).

uncommenting them would bean that they both belong to the "test"
subdomain which is invalid.

For the OP: next time, simply move those delegations below:

$TTL 300
@       IN      SOA ns4.example.com. postmaster.example.com. (
                                  2011110806      ; Serial Number
                                  10800           ; Refresh after 3 hours
                                  3600            ; Retry after 1 hour
                                  604800          ; Expire after 1 week
                                  300 )         ; Minimum TTL of 1 day
; Name servers
          IN      NS ns4.example.com
          IN      NS ns2.example.com
          IN      NS ns1.example.com
          IN    A    203.39.45.19
          IN    MX mail.goole.com
test    IN    NS ns1973.hostgator.com
test    IN    NS ns1974.hostgator.com
www        IN    CNAME example.com
a        IN    A    203.39.45.20
b        IN    A    203.39.45.21

And, also, put the whole zone content somewhere if you have problem - in the
first post you have ignored the content that made the zone fail.

How does cat play with mouse? cat /dev/mouse