Query zone expiration time

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Nov 17 06:33:24 UTC 2011

On Nov 16, 2011, at 10:20 PM, Hajducko, Steven wrote:
> Yeah, that's if we wanted to bother recovering it. :)  Then there is the process of recovering the master conf file and setting up notifies and allows for all the slaves the old master had.

Hmm.  If you don't care about recovering the zone data, why were you bothering to serve it in the first place?

> We're actually going to move the zones to our Infoblox system, which is why we wanted to determine if we had enough time or if we had to bother with the recovery, hence the question.

If I had a transition already planned and implemented, and the replacement system was adequately tested to the point where I was willing to switch over early due to an unexpected system failure, then I might consider switching a production system over to something else.

The other 99% of the time, if something in production breaks, you replace it with exactly the same thing.  Making any kind of infrastructure change is handled in a process which is not emergency recovery from a failure.

Regards,
--
-Chuck