Experience with DDNS (RFC 2136)

Jan-Piet Mens jpmens.dns at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 08:44:59 UTC 2011

[ pardon the possible duplicate ]

I'm a fan of RFC 2136 Dynamic DNS and, if I think it appropriate for a
particular use case, sometimes suggest DDNS to customers. I often have
a hard time convincing people to use DDNS and am doubted regarding its
stability and/or performance.

I'm looking for success (or failure) stories to back up my statement :)
For example, I seem to recall hearing the .COM zone uses DDNS for
updates (90 million records, isn't it?).

Are you willing to share the stories of your DDNS deployments, maybe
including approximate number of zones, records, update frequencies,
etc.?

Thank you & regards,

        -JP