Experience with DDNS (RFC 2136)

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Oct 6 09:06:14 UTC 2011

On 10/06/2011 09:44 AM, Jan-Piet Mens wrote:
> [ pardon the possible duplicate ]
>
> I'm a fan of RFC 2136 Dynamic DNS and, if I think it appropriate for a
> particular use case, sometimes suggest DDNS to customers. I often have
> a hard time convincing people to use DDNS and am doubted regarding its
> stability and/or performance.
>
> I'm looking for success (or failure) stories to back up my statement :)
> For example, I seem to recall hearing the .COM zone uses DDNS for
> updates (90 million records, isn't it?).
>
> Are you willing to share the stories of your DDNS deployments, maybe
> including approximate number of zones, records, update frequencies,
> etc.?

It's a bit of a vague question really.

We use DDNS to incrementally update our DNS zones from our SQL
registration database. It works fine; there's really nothing to say
about it beyond that.

(However, a nice property of doing things this way is that, if using
DNSSEC, you get incremental signing rather than have to bulk re-sign a
potentially large zone)

We don't do any client-initiated (or DHCP-server initiated) DDNS yet.