host versus nslookup

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Wed Oct 12 17:28:55 UTC 2011

One thing that is different about nslookup on HP-UX (which doesn't have host) is that it actually respects nsswitch.conf so will give you results from /etc/hosts OR from name services whereas most implementations only do it from name services.

Nslookup is "deprecated" meaning you should use host where possible.   Also for DNS troubleshooting dig is a much better tool than nslookup or host.