BIND master , Windows 2008 stub zone not transferring

Will lists listswill at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 14:21:50 UTC 2011

I had a very similar issue recently, but it was with secondaries on Windows
Server 2008 R2 and not stub zones.  We actually went to stub zones
afterwards to prevent the issue from happening again, hopefully.

The issue was that a machine had done DCHP and gotten the DDNS created
A/TXT/PTR records, but had registered some invalid Unicode characters in its
host name, including spaces so the host record was garbage.  Windows didn't
know what to do and stopped transferring all zones, BIND just chugged along
blissfully unaware.  I had to use nsupdate on the BIND side to remove the
bad record and get the host renamed.  After that, Windows still would not
transfer any zones (not even the zones that were not impacted by the bad
records) until ALL zones were deleted and recreated on each Windows DNS
server.  I was able to find the offending record by using the zone transfer
function in Windows nslookup and fortunately the bad characters made the
record easy to spot in the list.

I don't know that this scenario would cause your situation, but it was close
so I thought it might be of some help.

-Will