[UNsolved] was: what does dig +trace do?

Tom Schmitt TomSchmitt at gmx.de
Thu Sep 1 15:56:56 UTC 2011

I found the cause of my problem (and a solution):

dig +trace actually has another behaviour than doing the trace manually step by step with dig.

For a trace, dig is asking for the NS-records, then for the IP-address of the nameserver found and then go on asking this nameserver. Till the destination is reached.

In my case, dig is asking for the nameservers of the root-zone and is getting the answer:
. IN NS root1
. IN NS root2
etc

Next dig is asking for the A-record of root1. And here is the differrence:

If I do "dig root1" dig is asking exactly this, it is asking for the A-record of root1. And of course I get the correct answer from named.

The +trace option does not do this!
Instead, the +trace-option is using the searchsuffix in the resolv.conf and is asking for root1.my.search.suffix. and NOT for root1.
This is why the +trace option fails every time.

After deleting the searchsuffix in resolv.conf, dig +trace is working fine without any error.

In my oppinion it's a bug that dig +trace behave in a differrent way than doing the queries with dig one by one.

Tom.