[UNsolved] was: what does dig +trace do?

Tom Schmitt TomSchmitt at gmx.de
Thu Sep 1 12:18:31 UTC 2011

I spoke too soon :-(

> I think I found the reason why dig +trace always failed with a timeout.
> From the announcement of Bind 9.8.1 from earlier today:
>
>      * If the server has an IPv6 address but does not have IPv6
>        connectivity to the internet, dig +trace could fail attempting to
>        use IPv6 addresses. [RT #23297]
>
> So I only have to update to the new version of named and dig +trace will
> work. :-)

I thought this has to be it, because I don't find any error in my config and my (linux)server has IPv6 assigned to it's IPv4 interfaces without me using IPv6 at all (nor does my network).

But: The problem still persists. The only difference is the errormessage. With 9.8.0-P4 I got this error:

With version 9.8.1 I now get this error:
dig: couldn't get address for 'root1': not found

But of course, when I do a dig for root1 I get the IP for it just fine.
The trace-option does something strange which is not happening if I do all the steps of a trace with dig one by one manually.