Upgrading From 9.7.2 to 9.8.1 startup failed (due to fatal error)

michoski michoski at cisco.com
Fri Sep 16 20:32:25 UTC 2011

On 9/16/11 7:45 AM, "Ken Schweigert" <shawing at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thinking maybe something happened to these devices, I listed them out
> and didn't see anything obviously wrong:
>
> [root at ns1 dev]# ls -l /dev/null
> crw-rw-rw-  1 root root 1, 3 Apr  8 14:46 /dev/null
> [root at ns1 dev]# ls -l /chroot/named/dev/null
> crw-rw-rw-  1 named named 1, 3 Jan  4  2006 /chroot/named/dev/null
> [root at ns1 dev]#

Others gave you the 'null' category answer...  This likely relates to your
troubleshooting, but I wanted to add that most files within the chroot don't
really need to be named-writable.  For me, the only named-writable files are
pid files, logs and slave zones.

PROD:403 root at adns1# ls -l /var/named/chroot/dev/null
crw-r--r-- 1 root root 1, 3 Sep 15 18:33 /var/named/chroot/dev/null

This should really only matter in the proverbial "worst case" (if someone
can write into the chroot as named, proper permissions could mitigate some
risks but you'll still have a mess to cleanup), which likely won't happen
and would ideally be detectable in other ways if it did.  ;-)

--
By nature, men are nearly alike;
by practice, they get to be wide apart.