Query regarding NS record

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Sun Sep 18 16:11:28 UTC 2011

"ANY". That NS record tells *the*world* (not just your ISP) that they
can come to your nameserver to resolve names in the zone.

It wouldn't be much a failover strategy if you were relying on your
ISP's nameservers to somehow "proxy" the queries over to you, when
they're down.

Open up inbound destination port 53 TCP/UDP (for queries) and outbound
source port 53 TCP/UDP (for responses). The destination port outbound
will be the same as the source port inbound, for a given DNS
transaction, if your firewalls are stateful enough to keep track of such
things.

                                 - Kevin