Listen-on question

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Sat Apr 14 14:40:15 UTC 2012

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 04:36:55PM +0300, Perazim wrote:
    I wrote:
> > What is the real-world problem you want to solve here? If your
> > wan interface is a dynamic IP address, it is not usable as a NS
> > host. Internal interfaces have static IP addresses, right?
>
> I am using adsl but with a static ip address. I want to incorporate
> the bind server into the router itself which is running openwrt
> linux. If I was able to use the interface name instead of the ip
> address then this would have allowed me to use existing
> configuration. Now I have more to alter but it will work.

It might be simpler than you are making it out to be. The default
listen-on setting is to listen on all active interfaces and IP
addresses. If you want your server to be an NS host for the world on
the WAN interface, and a resolver for the LAN and for itself, you
could simply remove "listen-on" from your options stanza.

If you want to exclude the WAN interface, that's a different matter,
but not difficult; just list all your internal addresses in listen-on
statements.