Multi-master DNS with Bind

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Sun Aug 5 20:26:06 UTC 2012

> Hi,
>
> Looking to find information as to whether I can set up bind for
> multi-master DNS. I want to be able to update DNS records via any or more
> than one nameserver in the domain and have the records updated and
> propagated regardless if the "master" is available. Is this supported or
> are there ways to make this work with bind?

Not at this time.  We've discussed the subject at some length and it
may appear in a future release, but it's not on the near-term roadmap.

BIND 9 does support update forwarding (i.e., slaves receiving updates
and passing them on to the master), but that doesn't sound like what
you're looking for.

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.