Multi-master DNS with Bind

Michelle Konzack linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net
Sun Aug 5 20:40:29 UTC 2012

Hello Evan Hunt,

> Not at this time.  We've discussed the subject at some length and it
> may appear in a future release, but it's not on the near-term roadmap.

Something for bind10?

> BIND 9 does support update forwarding (i.e., slaves receiving updates
> and passing them on to the master), but that doesn't sound like what
> you're looking for.

I do not think, because if the master goes Off-Line you are screwed

I have some automated scripts, which check the MASTER if it  is  On-Line
or not, and if not, a SLAVE switch to MASTER.

Requires that all SLAVES have rsynced backupfiles from the MASTER.

Another method would be that you do NOT USE SLAVES at  all  but  instead
install on all MASTERS a CGI script and put the DATA for  the  ZONES  in
CSV  files,  do  cross-updates  and  let  a  script  create   the   Zones
automaticaly.

Currently I am working on this kind of setup  because  I  have  an  ADMIN
workstation/server with a PostgreSQL database with all required infos  in
my office and replicated 3 times in the Internet in differnt countries.

It does not mather, on which  ADMIN workstation/server I am working.   It
will always update all 12 name servers correctly.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack

               Internet Service Provider, Cloud Computing
                <http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/>

itsystems at tdnet                     Jabber  linux4michelle at jabber.ccc.de
Owner Michelle Konzack

Gewerbe Strasse 3                   Tel office: +49-176-86004575
77694 Kehl                          Tel mobil:  +49-177-9351947
Germany                             Tel mobil:  +33-6-61925193  (France)

USt-ID:  DE 278 049 239