Mangled secondary records...

Michael Hoskins (michoski) michoski at cisco.com
Sat Aug 18 07:53:31 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----

From: Jeff Justice <listaccount at starionline.com>
Date: Saturday, August 18, 2012 12:24 AM
To: "bind-users at lists.isc.org" <bind-users at lists.isc.org>
Subject: Mangled secondary records...

>I made a change in all of the master records and wanted to force the
>slave to update.
>
>I deleted all the host files on the secondary and restarted named.
>
>It pulls all the domains in and creates new host files, but when you view
>the host files for each domain, they appear to be garbled.
>
>Running the same BIND version on both primary and secondary.
>
>Help!  Secondary is effectively down as a result...

Are you sure you're not just seeing "compiled" zones that are now default
in 9.9?

http://ftp.isc.org/isc/bind9/cur/9.9/doc/arm/Bv9ARM.ch06.html#zonefile_form
at

http://www.isc.org/software/bind/new-features/9.9

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Comp/comp.protocols.dns.bind/2012-0
6/msg00094.html

If you really want the old behavior, try your exercise again after adding
"masterfile-format text;" to your options clause.

This is a FAQ.  :-)