Typical Bind slave failure scenario - What happens and when?

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Tue Aug 28 12:15:30 UTC 2012

Russell Jones <russell at jonesmail.me> wrote on 08/27/2012 06:39:31 PM:

> Is there any documentation outlining what will actually occur, and
> when, with a slave server when it cannot contact a zone's master for
updates?

The authoritative documentation is the Bind Administrators Reference
Manual (ARM).  Another excellent resource is "DNS and BIND" by Paul Albitz
and Cricket Liu, also known as the "Grasshopper Book" because of its
cover.  It is published by O'Reilly & Associates.

If you have a chance to attend an ISC training, I recommend it too.  I
took their "Intro to DNS and BIND" after running bind for over a decade. I
still learned a lot!  I would love to take the Advanced session if I get
the opportunity.

Confidentiality Notice:
This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or
privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or entity
identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that
you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any
attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or
telephone and delete this message from your system.