How can I migrate my Domain from ISP hosted to my own BIND server?

Giles Coochey giles at coochey.net
Fri Dec 14 10:39:36 UTC 2012

On 14/12/2012 09:55, Manish Rane wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> I need to migrate my domain which is hosted at my ISP on to my own
> internal BIND server and have my own NS record. Does anyone steps I
> need to take care of or complete procedure?

You need to consider some things:

Do you have the infrastructure to host your own domain. i.e. If the
place where one of your name servers was located was obliterated off the
planet would you still be able to serve your DNS records? Does your
infrastructure have the resiliency and necessary uptime to provide your
for your requirements now and in the future? Are you prepared to assign
resources maintaining that uptime?

If it is just you, and you're in the bar when your server(s) go down,
are you going to be prepared to go and fix it or wait until the morning?
If you wait until the morning are you going to be prepared to deal with
the application fallout that your DNS being unavailable caused (e.g. not
receiving emails for up to 4 days, finding that your users have all been
unsubscribed from mailinglists etc...)

Having said that, just assign a external static IPs to your name servers
and contact your registrar of your domain to update their DNS records.

--
Regards,

Giles Coochey, CCNA, CCNAS
NetSecSpec Ltd