Multiple BIND instances

lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de
Tue Feb 7 08:28:05 UTC 2012

Zitat von sasa sasa <sasasa20066 at yahoo.com>:

> Hi,
> I got a server with 16GB memory, want to install 2 BIND on CentOS,
> one cache only and another authoritative.
> Is it better to install 2 OS virtually and run BIND in them or run 2
> instances of BIND on the same OS? I mean what is the best practice
> to take advantage of the hardware resources without risking having
> single DNS with cache and authoritative?

If you really care about separating the cache and the authoritative
part you should also use separation at OS level. There are
light-weight virtualisation solutions like OpenVZ which does not add
noticeable performance costs. On the other hand you might also go
ahead with one instance and views.

Regards

Andreas