forwarding "@" to a different domain?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Jan 8 19:10:45 UTC 2012

On 08/01/2012 17:09, enigmedia (onl) wrote:
> How do I point requests for "http://mydomain.com" and
> "http://www.mydomain.com" to "http://mydomain.myshopify.com"?

Look up an A record (or AAAA) for mydomain.myshopify.com, then
create a similar A (or AAAA) record pointing to the same address in your
zone file.

If mydomain.myshopify.com is likely to change address (some HA/LB setups
can result in this) then you're out of luck, and you'll have to
use your webserver to redirect the traffic.

> Or is there no way to do this in DNS, and I need to instead point the
> domain to my webserver and set up a permanent redirect there?

Yes.  That would work, but it means that the people using your site will
see the URL change to http://mydomain.myshopify.com/

You might find it better to put the CNAME in for www.mydomain.com
pointing at mydomain.myshopify.com and then use a 301 redirect from
mydomain.com to www.mydomain.com -- so your users see the site as
www.mydomain.com.

Wouldn't it be nice if HTTP clients and servers understood
_http._tcp.mydomain.com SRV records?  That's becoming the standard
solution to this sort of problem nowadays, but unfortunately, the HTTP
specifications predate that idea and there is no client side support for
it generally available.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3