forwarding "@" to a different domain?

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Sun Jan 8 23:32:35 UTC 2012

On Sunday 08 January 2012 09:48:42 enigmedia wrote:
> Hi All: I have a situation where I need to forward requests for
> "mydomain.com" and "www.mydomain.com" to a third party:

"mydomain.com" is a real domain, and probably not yours. If for some
reason you do not want to mention your real domain name, use
"example.com" (or example.TLD for most top-level domains), which is
reserved for examples.

> "mydomain.myshopify.com" (while still pointing other things like
> MX records elsewhere).
>
> I realize I can point a CNAME for "WWW" to
> "mydomain.myshopify.com", but how do I point "mydomain.com" to
> this third party if there is no A record to point to?

This is beginning to be a FAQ here, perhaps due to the popularity of
such hosting services (which seem to have been designed by people who
have a poor understanding of DNS.)

This was my reply in a thread last month; refer to the entire thread
for more:

https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/bind-users/2011-December/085918.html