bind dies with assertion failure

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Tue Jul 3 12:50:07 UTC 2012

Oscar Ricardo Silva wrote on 07/02/2012 06:40:51 PM:

> The reason I'm running is that we're currently running the stock version

> of BIND available with RHEL6.  It's their policy to backport patches and

> if there's a patch available then they may apply it faster rather than
> deploying a new version.

At an ISC Intro to DNS and BIND class, the instructor pointed out that if
you rely on the distro provided version of BIND, you are at the mercy of
the package maintainers to upgrade/patch versions of BIND.  With Ubuntu
LTS (not sure about other distros), you are stuck at the same version of
bind until you upgrade your distro.  For Ubuntu 8.04LTS which is still
supported, BIND is stuck at 9.4, which is no longer supported by ISC.

I am building/redesinging our DNS infrastructure and I am building BIND
from tarball.  It's really quite easy.  Plus, I can run the latest and
greatest version to get the best DNSSEC features.

Confidentiality Notice:
This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or
privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or entity
identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that
you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any
attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or
telephone and delete this message from your system.